57th International Competition of Choral Singing 2020 Castle of Porcia Spittal an der Drau – Carinthia – Austria
To all friends of Choral Music!
We would hereby like to cordially invite you to the 57th international choral competition in Spittal an der Drau 2020.
Since 1964 numerous reputable choirs from all over the word have successfully taken part in our International Competition. Therefore, we feel confident that your choir would also be interested in participating in this special event and would be delighted to welcome you here.
Organizations signing responsible for the event:
• The Regional Government of Carinthia
• The Austrian Broadcasting Corporation · Studio Carinthia
• The Cultural Department of the Municipality of Spittal an der Drau
• The Singkreis Porcia, Spittal an der Drau
Organisers of the competition:
•The Cultural Department of the Municipality of Spittal an der Drau,
9800 Spittal an der Drau,
Tel.: +43 47 62 56 50 223 E-
• The "Singkreis Porcia" Spittal an der Drau
• For musical questions:
Time and venue:
Porcia Castle, Spittal an der Drau, Carinthia, Austria
Choral works, classical and modern (with Günther-
Thursday, July 9
8.30 PM: Opening concert given by the "Singkreis Porcia"
Friday, July 10th
9:00 AM: Photo session for all conductors in the courtyard of castle Porcia
9:15 AM: Conductors conference in the “Porciazimmer” (Castle Porcia, 1st floor)
From 10:15 AM: Blocking rehearsal in the castle and the city hall, Lutherstraße (according to schedule)
7.00 PM: Competition in category B (Folksong)
Saturday, July 11th
9.30 AM: Competition in category A at Stadtsaal (Obligatory choral works) 7.00 PM: Competition in category A (Choral works)
Sunday, July 12th From 9 AM: Singing in masses in the surrounding towns (participation optional)
11.00 AM: Informal singing in Millstatt (in traditional clothing) 7.00 PM: Awarding of prizes and winners concert
From 9:30 PM: Closing festivity for all participants in city hall
The participation in all afore mentioned events is obligatory.
Prizes to be won:
Category A (Choral works):
1st Euro 1,500.–
2nd Euro 900.–
3rd Euro 600.–
Category B (Folksong):
1st Euro 1,000.–
2nd Euro 700.–
3rd Euro 500.–
People’s Choice award Prizes will be awarded by a jury of international experts, whose decisions are beyond dispute.
Accommodation and food: Room and board will be covered by the competition starting Thursday 9
An extension to your stay in Spittal an der Drau at your own expense can be arranged if announced in advance.
Participants: Free room and board will be supplied for:
• the singers (45 persons max.)
• accompanying people like choir officials, chaperons and interpreters (3 persons max.)
• one or two bus drivers
Interpreter: It is advisable that your choir is accompanied by a German or English-
Assistance: The choirs will be personally assisted by members of the "Singkreis Porcia" during the entire competition.
Entry: Please send in your application the competition no later than January 31
• a short outline of your choir’s origin and activities (please use the attached form);
• a recent, digital, high resolution picture of the choir. (Transfer of the unconditional legal right of use to the competition)
Address your entry to:
Stadtgemeinde Spittal an der Drau Kulturamt Burgplatz 1 A-
• The choir will have to sing 3 obligatory works and an additional programme of its own choice which may not exceed 10 minutes in duration. The program of your own choice may contain a demanding jazz or pop-
The obligatory choral works in the contest 2020 will be:
• Olivier Messiaen (1908-
Durand Edition Musicales, ISMN: 9790044055753
• Christian Dreo (*1958) – Auftragskompostition – Eigenverlag Chorbewerb Spittal
• The sheet muic will be sent to you along with the letter of acceptance (in February 2020). The afore mentioned editions of the compulsory pieces are obligatory.
• The choir will have to sing a cappella. No piano accanpaniment is allowed.
• The jury’s judgement, briefly announced in public immediately after the contest, will include the following aspects: intonation, choral sound in general, dynamic flexibility, rhythm and stylistic sense.
• Additionally the „Günther-
• The pieces should be traditional folk arrangements that show the musical qualities of the choir as well as the cultural specialties of your country. The songs may also be sung in unison.
• Complex arrangements of folksongs should only take up a small part in your program.
• Your program must be sung and conducted by heart.
• The songs may be accompanied by traditional folk instruments excluding the piano.
• The jury’s judgement, briefly announced in public immediately after the contest, will include following aspects: intonation, choral sound in general, dynamic flexibility, rhythm and stylistic sense.
• Traditional costumes would be greatly appreciated!
• Fee to cover the costs: If you are accepted to the competition you are required to pay a small fee of € 100.-
• All choirs must prepare one additional piece in each category for the concert of the victors on Sunday.
• For the open singing in Millstatt (Sunday starting at 11 AM) the choirs are asked to sing songs that display a “light” character. It would be greatly appreciated if the program for Millstatt was not part of the program for the competition in category B. For the winner’s concert on Sunday a further song has to be prepared.